Writing Workshops for Professionals are coming to Washington, DC in May and September, 2020
Good writers get ahead. Spend a day developing your skills at a hands-on workshop with Methodical Writing.
Hi! I’m Andy Brown, a full-time freelance writer and writing coach.
In 2015, I started a Meetup Group for anyone who wanted to practice writing in a welcoming environment. That turned into steady work as a trainer for numerous organizations.
I love freelance writing, but I started the Meetup Group because I missed teaching. Earlier in my career, I worked in university writing centers and taught composition to college students.
Now I get to write and teach — the best of both worlds.
I’m a practicing writer, so I know the questions and struggles you face. My workshops address your writing challenges through practical, hands-on exercises.
What do we cover in Methodical Writing workshops?
- We talk about what makes writing ‘effective.’
- We practice writing for different audiences and with different purposes in mind.
- We review language and grammar concepts and how they influence our writing.
- We practice writing sentences that are easy to comprehend.
- We learn to manipulate syntax for effect.
- We discuss and practice what it means to be good editors.
- We learn to condense wordy sentences and paragraphs.
- We study the difference between reporting, narrating and other modes of communication.
- We explore figures of speech and other powerful rhetorical devices.
- We dissect elements of the writing process and learn to use them for any writing task.
- And much more.
If you want to know more about my upcoming workshops in Washington, DC, join the mailing list. I’ll send you a notice when dates, times, and topics are finalized.